Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Freidlein Prairie

I get the feeling that I will be spending a fair bit of time in Flagstaff this fall. On my first trip I visited the famous Priest Draw, the West Elden area, and Freidlein Prairie up on the San Francisco Peaks. Somehow I didn't take any photos at the Draw or Elden, but I did manage to get a few @ Freidlein Prairie. The rock type is dacite, which apparently occurs when basaltic magma melts together with sandstone underground, then this mixture is extruded onto the surface. The boulders can be either featured or thin, round or blocky, steep or slabby, bullet or choss, but is almost always sharp and slick.


Lauren on a v1 at the Anvil area


Lauren on a v1 at the Anvil area


Lauren on F.R.O.W, on the Tiger Wall


Tavis on F.R.O.W., at the Tiger Wall

Lauren on the Tower, v0, at the Tiger Wall


Lauren on Gas Works, v4


No comments:

Post a Comment